PRIMARY FUNCTION / OBJECTIVEPipeline Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) are key members of the affiliate medical department.
These field-based roles focus on interacting with, and supporting the needs of, investigators participating in priority 1 mainly and to a lesser extent priority 2 sponsored studies.
Pipeline MSLs work to communicate information and facilitate dialogue about AbbVie’s investigational products, and compounds in development, in a strictly scientific, non-promotional manner, and in full compliance with applicable national laws and regulations, guidelines, codes of conduct, AbbVie’s policies and procedures (see Note 3, below) and accepted standards of best practice.
Pipeline MSLs serve to enhance the scientific credibility of the Company with established and emerging clinical investigators as well as key scientific institutions and collaborative study groups, by supporting scientific dialogue and collaborations in the areas of research, medical and scientific exchange, including facilitation of requests for scientific and medical information.
MSLs also participate in close partnership with affiliate-based Site Management & Monitoring staff in the initiation, oversight and follow-up of clinical studies.
They also interface with other key members of the affiliate medical department - for example : Medical Managers, Medical Advisers, Clinical Research Managers and functions such as Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Market Access and others as appropriate - relevant to the therapeutic area for which the MSL has responsibility, and work collaboratively and cross-functionally with other in-field members while retaining functional independence.
They maintain a high level of scientific knowledge to ensure credible dissemination of scientific information and informed scientific dialogue with key external stakeholders.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES1. Ensure a strong medical and scientific presence for Abbvie in investigational sites and key scientific centers by facilitation of clinical research and in particular of interventional phase 1-3 trials with Abbvie drugs, while supporting requests for medical and scientific information on products or areas of therapeutic interest to Abbvie2.
Establish and maintain a close working relationship with Site Management & Monitoring staff and partner in facilitating the initiation and conduct of prioritized Abbvie-led clinical trials.
3. Provide scientific and technical leadership to ensure professional and credible relationships with investigators.4. Consult with physicians, pharmacists and other medical professionals to refer appropriate patients to Clinical Trial sites and review clinical practice topics as requested by the investigator or referring sites.
5. Act as the point of contact with thought leaders to facilitate investigator-initiated study (IIS) ideas with AbbVie pipeline assets and requests for support to the local and global medical teams as appropriate.
6. Deliver credible presentations on scientific matters in the disease area of responsibility and about AbbVie’s pipeline to investigators in Abbvie-sponsored interventional research.
7. Participate in the selection process to identify appropriately qualified external experts the Company would wish to engage in collaborative efforts such as potential research collaborations, or educational and advisory roles (Advisory Boards, Congresses, Symposia, etc.
while ensuring a high level of scientific or educational integrity in these collaborative efforts.8. Identify opportunities for R&D collaborations with key institutions and thought leaders and liaise with the Search& Evaluation team and Discovery or Clinical Development teams to facilitate further assessment.
9. Facilitate medical and scientific field intelligence for example, maintain a list of investigators / potential investigators within a given TA, understand competitive research activities in active or planned study sites, generate insights from investigators on challenges and opportunities for AbbVie-sponsored clinical trials and communicate, where appropriate, within the Company.
10. Attend relevant scientific meetings and Conferences.11. Upon request, assist physicians with requests for access to AbbVie medicines on a named patient or compassionate use basis, subject to all applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
12. For countries involved in the 1-7-5 early touchpoint process : provide insights on the current clinical practice, facilitate identification of tier 1 external experts and provide scientific input into the future clinical development program for Abbvie’s pipeline assets.
13. Ensure that all activities and interactions are conducted with due regard to all applicable local, global and national laws, regulations, guidelines, codes of conduct, Company policies and accepted standards of best practice.ACCOUNTABILITY & SCOPE
This includes working with local Medical Information teams, as appropriate, to respond to unsolicited requests for off-label information on AbbVie medicines.
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL CONTACTS AND INTERACTIONS
Medical Information team / specialists; affiliate pharmacovigilance / drug safety personnel
Typically, up to 15% of an individual’s time may be spent working in the affiliate medical team head office the remainder of time being spent as field based.
This is subject to local needs, and the discretion of the affiliate medical director.
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients.
As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.